Meniscectomy is an arthroscopic procedure, where the whole meniscus and the meniscal rim is removed (complete meniscectomy) or only a section of the meniscus is removed (partial meniscectomy). Meniscus is a fibrocartilage located in between the thigh bone (femur) and shin bone (tibia). Each knee has two meniscus, medial and lateral meniscus which cushions and stabilizes the knee joint.
In the younger population, meniscal tear is usually traumatic by a sudden bend or twist in the knee. Elderly people are more prone to degenerative meniscal tears as the cartilage wears out and weakens with age.
At MoveFree Physio we provide post-operative rehabilitation for patients who undergo meniscectomy. Our rehabilitation protocol is aimed at:
- Reducing pain and swelling
- Regaining knee joint range of motion
- Gait training
- Regaining functional mobility
- Regaining knee strength, stability and flexibility
- Regaining good balance and proprioception
- Sport/activity specific exercises